Below is a screen shot of a video in a series of videos that provide instruction on algebra topics. The videos are designed to make algebra more accessible for almost all students.
The presentations include the following instructional strategies
- A focus on conceptual understanding (not just teaching steps)
- Connection to prior knowledge
- Breaking the math topics down into “bite-sized” pieces (chunking)
- Color coding
- Making the math relevant
The videos can be used in the following ways
- Differentiation for students who need an alternative presentation
- Initial instruction for students who missed instruction
- Initial instruction as part of a class, e.g. flipping a classroom
- For use when a substitute is covering a class
- Intervention based instruction
- Part of math support services (especially for special ed teachers who are not well versed in algebra topics)
- Homework support
The videos include a link to the handouts used in the presentation. Additional practice worksheets will be included as well.
NOTE: this is only a sample, with more samples to follow. Please share feedback or ask questions.