This post presents a Google Jamboard manipulative activity to help scaffold the act of subtraction which helps unpack the concept of subtraction.
The Jamboard can be individualized with Google Images. The can allow for context. In this example, maybe the context is there are 7 players and 4 have an injury or on COVID protocol and have to sit out.
The artifact also incorporates scaffolding, color coding, and manipulatives. Subtraction is an operation, which invokes a verb. The kinesthetic aspect of the manipulatives helps to unpack the concept of subtraction.
- Write the problem, using color.
- Circle the starting amount in the row as the same color as the initial number.
- Populate the row with the images of interest to the student.
- Physically take away the identified amount.
- Write the remaining amount as the answer.
Access to Jamboard
Here is the link to the Jamboard. You need to make a copy to access it.